Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Updates for January 3rd, 2018

So the New Year has begun and it's freaking cold out most days with more to come this weekend.   It's a tough time of year for any farmer.  I just saw my neighbor's cows be loaded up and leave the farm.  Either to an auction or sold to another farm.   I don't know the whole story but I'd guess the farm is closed.  I dread to see who takes over the land but probably better managed than lately.

It's tough here as I put on many layers to head out and take care of the critters.  Things are set up better than in years past but we still have to haul water to the pigs on the 4 wheeler.  Next year the pond WILL be finished and frost free hydrants set up at the winter pig area for watering them.

We've been chipping more wood for the cows bedding and bought some extra hay in for the pigs to eat and for their bedding.   All are doing well, and sunning themselves at the moment since it's all blue sky this morning.

It's tough on sales with zero income for 3 weeks now.  I have delivery options and farm store is open weekends now so I hope things improve soon.   A reminder what you put in your body is extremely important NOW as the dreaded illness season is here.   Put good food in and meat is very important part of winter nutrition.

A friend has had flu hit their household and she was saying she was so glad she had put up many quarts of chicken stock, chicken soup, beef stock, beef soup in her freezer.     She would get out her instant pot and put in a pork shoulder roast heavily seasoned for spiciness.   Did up a bunch of rice and put in in the fridge.  She said they have been eating well and recovering.
One favorite meal was hot sausage with veggies.  She freezes lots of veggies like I do.   She stir fried/sauteed some beans, peas, carrots, squash, onions, peppers, garlic and potatoes then added in cooked hot sausage.  Pulled out some hot sauce to clear the sinuses and dinner with lunch leftovers.   I made this during the fall at the farmers market for some of us vendors.   Yum.

If you don't have your own veggies frozen consider stocking up with some not just having fresh in the fridge.   Frozen keeps for when you need it.

So I'm going to stress to everyone get some stock made and in the freezer.   Have the pantry and freezer stocked for simple nourishing meals.

I have chicken backs and beef bones at the farm while supplies last.  
Recipe for stock will be out soon along with my favorite beef veggie soup.

We also have lots of all of our cuts and meat packs on the online store.  If  you don't see a cut or size you want just message me as i may just have it just didn't get it updated yet.
Chuck, Rump, Brisket, Stew, Meaty Soup Shanks, Short Ribs, flank steak, sirloin steak, rib steaks, shaved steak, bones, burger.   Pork shoulder and loin roasts, hams, ham steaks, bacons, ground pork, sweet and hot italian sausage, breakfast sausage, chorizo, brats, keilbasa, chops, country ribs, spare ribs ($5 a pound or free package with $20 purchase plus recipe on oven roasting or instant pot cooking them).

Local Delivery in Cazenovia Area is FRIDAY afternoons.  No minimum No delivery fees

https://squareup.com/store/creekside-meadows-farm
 to order for delivery or pickup at the farm.  
I know it's cold out so if  you are picking up at the farm and don't want to get out of the car NO PROBLEM.  Put in your order ahead of time.  I will bag it up and let you know the total. You can pay ahead of time or when you pickup.  I WILL BRING IT TO YOUR CAR when you pull up!

See toot your horn and we bring you good meat.   You can NOT get that anywhere else!

Seriously I know many of you have kids and don't want to drag them out of the car or you are iffy on walking on uneven ground- I've been there a few times.    So let me make it easy for you since I have the heavier winter gear!  

I also have delivery next week east of the farm, west of the farm too.  
Tuesday from the farm west to Skaneateles and Camillus and in between.
Wednesday is Manlius, Fayetteville and Chittenango
Fridays (every friday) is Cazenovia and west to Morrisville.

I also delivery EVERY Friday locally in Caz and Deruyter and other really close areas to us.

Put good food in your body and wash your hands.   Stay well.  See you soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment