Friday, December 29, 2017

Day 3 and it's gearing up for New Year's!

I'm getting ready for New Year's eve at the farm. It's not a big day around here, no parties or stuff like that.  We are homebodies but I do tend to do a finger food kind of spread.

I have 2 recipes today because I can't decide which one I like better.


OVEN ROASTED SPARE RIBS

1 rack of Creekside Meadows spare ribs.  Thawed
BBQ dry rub of your choice.   I found a local one that works nicely for us.
It's Wild Billi's and it's from Truxton NY so just around the hill from us.  I found it at the Deruyter BigM but I think Nelson Farms carries it and I'm sure some others.
Anyways it's a low sodium, no msg mix and I have the mild version.   There are spicier ones too.

Back to the ribs.    Pat those ribs dry and liberally cover with your favorite BBQ rub or just go simple with Salt and Pepper.

Preheat oven to 200.  Place on a cookie tray or baking pan and place on middle rack.  On rack below fill a bread pan 1/2 way with water.  This will give some moisture to the roasting and help break down the collagen so they are fall apart tender and moist. I've done it without the water and they were not as juicy so don't forget the pan of water!

Roast about 8 hours.  Then slather with your favorite bbq sauce and finish under the broiler OR fire up the grill for a quick smokey finish (I often do that in the warm months)

This can also be done in the slow cooker, I just add a bit of water in there and let them cook away.



  BONUS TIME!

SWEET and SPICY Mini-Meatballs

I made these last year during the winter farmers market and they were a hit so it wasn't just us who are fans of this one.  It's crazy simple and there are many versions you will find online.   Hands down extremely popular with the kids at the market and hungry farmers sneaking samples!

I make my own meatballs and NEVER ever buy them but you do what you must.  I know we are all busy.  These can easily be made ahead of time and frozen for any meals or snacks like these.

1 pound Creekside Meadows Ground beef
1 pound Creekside Meadows Ground Pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
Lard, butter or Olive oil for frying
10 ounces grape jelly (or raspberry)
12 ounces chilli sauce

Mix the meat, breadcrumbs, onion, milk, eggs, worcestershire, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.   Mix well and form into 1 inch size balls.  Cocktail Size and  you should get about 48.
Heat the pan and oil on medium/high heat.  Fry the balls until browned on each side and cooked about 5-7 minutes (145 internal temp).  It may take a bit longer and do this in batches.
Drain on paper towels.

OR
Oven Roast
400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wrack on top (so juices drain from the balls).   Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, careful not to overcook them.  You want them cooked through with a bit of a crispy edge.  


SAUCE
Mix the chilli sauce and jelly in a saucepan.   Heat on stove until hot.  
Add the meat balls and let them simmer a few minutes to warm through.  
This is where I put it all in the crockpot or other warming dish for serving and keeping warm.  Put out some toothpicks and watch them get snatched up
Do ahead.
Make the meatballs,  cook then freeze.    Just warm them in the sauce before serving. 

Isn't that pretty easy?  Think of how you could prep these for all sorts of dishes and have them frozen for quick meals or snacks.   

Time to make my meatballs because we are snacking on them Sunday night along with some ribs!


No comments:

Post a Comment