Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with Winter Vegetables

From our Meadows to your Table

5 of our favorite Pasture Woodland Raised Pork Recipes in 5 days.   

Enjoy!

Day 1

Pork Shoulder
I know most think this cut from literally the shoulder of the pig is only for pulled/bbq pork.  Oh people it is sooooo much more!     
 Sure it needs a slow low roast which makes it the best roast for us busy people who love to put a roast in the oven, get on with things come back hours later to perfection.  There there is course the beloved slow cooker to use.  
My son loves pulled pork so I would often cook 2 of these so we had plenty of leftovers.  Hang out with me here often and you'll see my theme... not one meal but many meals from one cooking session.  He likes it with a dry bbq rub or a creole rub or a spicier one or just with BBQ sauce.   It's juicy and so flavorful with just a minimum of seasoning to pop the flavor.
  Anyways, we aren't doing pulled pork because it's not on my menu today.  We can get incredibly busy at the farm and we really often need to be able to come in and dinner be ready. So since my budget does not include a chef or housekeeper I plan ahead alot and use either the oven, the slow cooker or my new instant pot (more on that as I perfect my recipes!).  The men here can cook just not well and it's basics.   Basics get boring after a while so I do most of the cooking.  (until a chef decides to take over for me!)

I happened to have PBS on my little kitchen TV one evening last week and one of my favorite chefs was on, Lidia Bastianich    I love her and grew up not really knowing much about real Italian food  but have learned so much from her over the years.   What she prepared on that show has me a solid devoted fan and a fan or her camera crew!   (Not to mention she featured veterans on a recent show.)
 A roast pork shoulder to drool over......
It was huge and luscious and tender and juicy and well I had to wipe the drool off my chin (sorry but it was so good!)........  that's what we are talking about today  It's my comfort food and a long ago roast my mom used to make but sadly no longer does.  I don't know when she stopped making it but I'm bringing it back because it's time we all appreciate this cut and eat it more often.

Slow Roasted
Creekside Meadows
Pork Shoulder Roast

Lidia's recipe used a higher heat and shorter cooking time.  I've adapted it for our active pasture woodland raised pork that requires a lower and slower cooking time than conventional grocery store meat.  I've kept my seasonings very simple with this recipe so the pure pork flavor can develop.

1 pork shoulder roast.   3-4 pounds (smaller is fine, larger needs more seasoning and time to roast).   Bone in or boneless doesn't matter.  Ours at the farm are usually bone in.  Our sizes usually are 2 1/2 -3 pounds but we do carry the 4-5 pounders often so just ask.  

Liberally rub in coarse salt and fresh ground pepper all over the roast.  Let it come to room temperature about 1/2 to 1 hour.   Heat up a heavy skillet (or dutch oven you plan to cook in the oven with), add 2 tablespoons lard or olive oil until sizzling then brown each side of the roast and the  sides.  A good hot sizzling sear to seal in the juices.
Place roast in a roasting pan that has a good lid.  (or slow cooker or dutch oven)



Pour in 1/3- 1/2 cup dry white wine of your choice or 1/2 cup chicken or mixed meat or veggie stock to deglaze the skillet.  Scrape up all the tidbits and pour over the roast.   
Place carrots, onions, celery and 4 or so cloves of garlic around the roast.    Roast on high 400F for 15 minutes then lower the heat to 300 and cover the roaster with a tight fitting lid.  
Roast until tender falling apart tender.  This usually is 3-4  hours in the oven but sometimes a good pork shoulder from really well raised outdoor pigs can take another hour or so.   
If using the slow cooker I find it takes 5 or so hours on low.   

Once it's done remove all to a hot platter and keep warm.  Pour all drippings into a small sauce pan along with some chicken or all meat stock to make a pan gravy.   
I serve with roasted fingerlings or mashed potatoes.  (The guys here are meat and taters types!)

Notes;  I know such a long roasting time will have the carrots too mushy.  I use them in my recipe for flavor more than an accompaniment.   What I've done is the last hour of roasting I remove the old carrots, add fresh ones along with small red potatoes or small russets or fingerlings (or 2 inch cubes of any potatoes) plus some big pieces of winter squash to roast along with the meat.   (or roast them separately to your liking)  I know not everyone likes their veggies roasting with the meat (my husband!).  I like the one pot kind of meal if I can.

This basic version is just comfort food for me and other seasonings like bay leaf, rosemary, and cloves all go deliciously with this roast.  Start simple and experiment as you roast more.

Leftovers omg these are awesome as a sandwich on some pumpernickel bread with some fresh coleslaw & a dab of bbq sauce or  just tossed in last minute with some stir fry veggies for another great meal from just 1 roast.    
Mine is the oven at the moment so a finished picture will be coming soon.  

www.CreeksideMeadowsFarm.com



No comments:

Post a Comment